The deals cover technicians, artisans and craftspeople who perform a wide variety of non-acting and non-directing jobs for feature films, television shows and streaming programs. Had the 63,000 union members covered by the contracts gone on strike, it would have been the largest private-sector work stoppage since 2007.
Although there were economic issues involved in the deal — including significant wage improvements for lower-paid union members — many of the changes agreed to by management involved quality of life issues, such as meal breaks, guaranteed time off between shifts and time off on weekends.
The vote, conducted over the last several weeks, resulted in only 50.3% of IATSE members in favor of the deal, with the remaining 49.7% opposed.
Those are the total vote tallies on two contracts with similar terms: one that primarily covers workers on the West Coast, and another that applies to most unionized production workers in the rest of the country.
The West Coast result is a bit complicated: Members actually voted narrowly against the tentative labor contract, with only 49.6% in favor. But because of a complex set of ratification rules, that minority vote was enough to approve the deal. The other contract, covering the rest of the country, passed with 52% voting in favor.
Turnout nationwide was very strong, with 72% of eligible union members casting a ballot.